It all started when...
On August 8, 1979, Bishop John Morkovsky of the Diocese of Galveston-Houston signed a formal decree to establish the parish of Sts. Simon and Jude in The Woodlands. Father Charles C. Domec was assigned as founding pastor after having previously served as pastor of St. Bartholomew’s Parish in Katy, Texas.
The boundaries of Sts. Simon and Jude Catholic Parish extend from Highway 1488 on the northwest side of IH45, Needham Road on the northeast side, Buckskin Lane on the west side, the west fork of the San Jacinto River and Riley-Fuzzel Road on the east side, and Spring Creek on the south side. These boundaries take in certain areas of The Woodlands (Grogans Mill, Panther Creek, parts of Cochrans Crossing and Indian Springs), Oak Ridge North, Timber Ridge/Timber Lakes, Shenandoah, Vicksburg, OakTen, Spring Hills, Spring Forest, Fox Run, Imperial Oaks, Chateau Woods, Champion Lakes, etc. The first liturgy for the new parish was celebrated on the weekend of October 6-7, 1979 at the Interfaith Chapel. Masses continued to be held at this location as well as Knox Junior High School during the construction of the Church.
In May 1980, a Building Fund Drive was initiated so that plans for building our Church complex could be realized in the shortest possible time. The parishioners expressed a desire that the Church itself be the first priority for the Building Program. Two hundred and seventy-nine families pledged a total of $351,465 in order to provide a financial base for construction of the parish.
The first liturgy in the new Church was celebrated on August 30, 1981. The Church, Chapel, and Education Building were dedicated on October 4, 1981 by Bishop John E. McCarthy, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese. With the completion of the Church, it became necessary for the Rectory and offices which were located on Coralvine Court in The Woodlands to be relocated to the Church property. The Rectory was completed and occupied in March 1982. As our parish family continued to grow, the need for an Administration Building became evident; this building was completed in September, 1984. In October 1989 the Family Center with additional classroom space was added. Our Youth Building was completed in the fall of 1996.
In Loving Memory
Reverend Monsignor Charles C. Domec
Ordained May 26, 1956