Our mission for the SERVE COMMISSION is to encourage, support, provide, and coordinate all Catholic outreach efforts and activities for parishioners of Sts. Simon and Jude as well as the community in conjunction with the Parish Mission Statement of "Go Forth and make Disciples of all People."
Our Focus is to communicate directly with Parish Leadership, Parishioners, Parish Commissions and operate through Parish Ministries and Affiliated outside Organizations to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of our Parishioners and Community Family. The Serve Commission is led by a Pastoral Council liaison, Parishioner Volunteer Chairperson, a parish clergy/deacon member and a parish staff employee.
· Angel Tree Project - “To the one who is given much, much will be expected.” The goal of our project is to extend the spirit of Christmas by providing gifts to people in need. The gifts will go to: seniors and families referred to us by Interfaith;Pregnancy Assistance Center North; Birthright; and other families or groups. The program begins the weekend before Thanksgiving and ends with the delivery of the gifts the first weekend in December. We need help making angels for the trees, collecting and sorting gifts after each mass during the last weekend in November and the first weekend in December. We also need assistance delivering the gifts to the various facilities. Helene McKee, firstname.lastname@example.org
.· Blood Drive – organizes and holds the quarterly Blood Drives. Giving Blood is an Act of Mercy and can save up to 3 lives. Gretchen Hartley, email@example.com
· Emergency Management - Will have the responsibility to manage our Shelter operations as well as working with Montgomery County Emergency Management, the Red Cross, and Interfaith to serve our community in the event of any kind of disaster. Jim Burkett, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Habitat for Humanity – Is an ecumenical, non profit, interfaith ministry that brings the community together to build decent, affordable home for all God’s people in need. Sts. Simon & Jude Parish, together with St. Anthony of Padua Parish, will achieve the mission in partnership through: Faith – our foundation, Volunteers – our walls, Donors – our roof and Families – our heart. Enroll on Flocknote to be kept informed or our plans and about upcoming events, building sites, and ways you can join our efforts. David Vogt, DVogt@cbi.com
· Our Lady’s Rosary Makers – Learn to make rosaries for the missions, hospitals, and the parish. Once you learn the easy method, you can make rosaries at home or meet with us once a month. Instructions and supplies will be provided. Meetings are the third Friday of each month from 9:30-11:00 am. Pauline Bowen, email@example.com
· Prayer Blanket Project - If you like to sew and have time to pray while you sew, these very simple prayer blankets might be a great project for you. It is a simple pattern to follow included in an all inclusive kit. You can sew at your leisure. At the same time we are meeting the needs of our fellow parishioners who are dealing with various challenges in their lives. This Blessed Prayer Blanket reminds each person gifted of God’s great love for them and the support of a faith filled community. Bobbie Torguson, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Prison Ministry – Visit and/or write letters to our incarcerated brothers and sisters. Lisa Naeger, email@example.com
· Social Justice Team- this newly formed team will develop a parish plan for strategy and implementation for advocacy and outreach. Nannette Coons firstname.lastname@example.org
· SVDP – St. Vincent de Paul Society provides for community needs with emergency financial assistance and donated food. This is a behind the scenes way to be vicars of Christ. Bill McKee, email@example.com
· Transportation Ministry – Provide transportation, in your own personal vehicle, to parishioners in need of rides to Mass, doctor and medical appointments, grocery store, or other appointments that may be appropriate as determined by the parish office. Katherine Baxter,Katie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like additional information or volunteer to serve!